Steve and I had the opportunity to go to Trinidad with some friends from church. We went for one week to spend time at two different Children's Homes. We got the invite at the last minute. I was unsure at first of whether or not to go, I really did not want to leave the girls for an entire week. After a couple days of prayer, I decided it really was an awesome opportunity. How could I pass it up. Especially since we were already planning on going to Florida to see my parents, and there would be no better way to bless them, then give my children to them for a week. So off we went. I really believe it was the best decision for all of us. My parents were able to spend one on one time with the girls, Steve and I were able to minister together, and the children there would get our undivided attention. It was an awesome trip. I do not think I can put into words just how amazing it was. We were able to spend time at two different Orphanages everyday. Each housing about 150 kids. It was hard to even imagine....300 kids with out loving parents, without daily hugs, without the attention they deserve. When we walked in to the room the children ran with open arms to everyone of us. They were starving for attention and love. That was our goal....to show them love and more importantly remind them that God loves them more then anyone will ever love them. That He does NOT make mistakes! They are His children, just as we are. They just live a more difficult life. Steve and I both fell in love with a hand full of children. How we didn't bring them all home, I still wonder. If it were just that easy :) One thing that was so evident was how we saw so much Spiritual war-fare; which seems so foreign to us. Here in the States, we all live a pretty good life. We have food in our fridge, roofs over our heads, more material things then we can count...etc. But there, they have nothing. They lit up when we gave them little gifts. Gifts that our children would use for a day then throw away. But to them, it seemed like everything. It was really humbling. There was one child that clung to me, her name was Marissa (about 1 1/2). I took a special liking to her too, since she reminded me of Kalea. She would cry when I would leave, how sad was I. The last night, I kept her in the Christmas party longer then all of the other babies. I couldn't bare to bring her back. When Alexis and I finally did, we walked into the nursery and asked the "mom" where we should put her. She reached out her arms, took Marissa (without hugging or cuddling her) put her directly into the crib, no diaper change or clothing change, and stuck a bottle in her mouth. We just about lost it there. I pray that the "mom" did go back and cuddle her. That is just a glimpse of the attention they get. How sad is that? I can't even imagine. We are constantly hugging and kissing our girls, telling them how special, beautiful they are. These children, on the other hand, got embarrassed when we told them they are beautiful and loved. So now what? We gave them one week...one week for them to feel important and loved. Then we leave. Trinidad needs to stand up and take care of their people! I know, some of you may be thinking "what about the orphans here?". That is our responsibility. We need to stand up and be the Church that God desires. It is so easy. You do not need any special talent to show children love. And yet it is so important to them. A week out of our life mean the world to them. I challenge you, as the Church, to reach out.
"When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Matt. 25:38-40



No comments:
Post a Comment